June 05, 2018
As we’re all full of ideas on how to spruce up our outdoor living space this season, this is one project you’ll want to try if you’re looking to add some fresh pops of color to your outdoor decor without investing in an expensive rug or patio furniture.
[Note: This project came from the archives! I created this rug back in 2014, but can say with confidence, this rug held up for quite some time, stayed vibrant as it faced all of the elements and had plenty of use!]
Ready to get started? Here’s what you’ll need:
Another little note before you begin: When creating this decorative rug, don’t worry about how you put the tape down. It doesn’t have to be perfect and I’m almost certain I couldn’t recreate this exact rug. The idea is to make something fun and abstract, so don’t worry if you’re tape doesn’t look exactly like mine pictured. That’s the beauty of creating cool abstract art!
1. Using your painter’s tape, start laying down tape on your rug haphazardly. Just make sure your tape runs from edge to edge or meets up with another piece of tape so you’re rug will have perfect shapes painted on it.
2. Cut your sponge into thirds or for however many colors of paint you have chosen for this project. You’ll want one piece of sponge per paint color.
3. Start with one color of acrylic paint and pour it out on the disposable plate. Use the sponge piece to dab the paint the taped sections of your rug. I tried to space out each color so they didn’t appear to be jumbled all on one side.
4. Repeat this step with the other acrylic paint colors you chose.
5. Once completely painted, allow the rug to dry overnight. The painted shapes will start to look patchy as some parts may dry faster than others.
[Another side note: If you’re looking to make your rug last even longer or it’s going to be used in a high-traffic area, you might want to use some sort of clear acrylic over it. The Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray is a safe bet.]
6. As soon as your rug is dry, remove the painters tape and it’s ready to be placed outside to enjoy!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
June 08, 2018
June 06, 2018
June 05, 2018
Sign up to get the latest on sales, new releases and more …